We had done many things over the years to it. In recent years, we had changed to gas, re-piped the water, decommissioned the oil tank, put on a new roof and updated the kitchen. Things that would have made it perfect for aging in place. But the laundry was in the basement and one of my knees will likely need to be replaced.
After we moved out week looked at how old it looked. We had a great kitchen but the whole house needed painted. Plus the basement stairs had begun to list to one side. I guess when I am a hundred and 5 I might list to one side also. Anyway, the work began to spruce it up.
Then the rains came. This year we had record rainfall. And that is saying a lot for Oregon. After the snow and ice melted and the rains continued we had a leak in the basement. That added to the expense and the work. We had to attempt to remediate the influx of water. We think we were successful. Anyway after the very expensive work was done we did not get anymore water during February and March, which had heavy rain. Or April or May when it continued to rain.
The stairs got fixed and made to code. All the electrical was checked and plugs and switches all changed out. The inside was painted and we waited for the rain to stop to paint the outside.
My husband and I totally disagreed about what should be done with the front of the house. I won some and lost some battles. Here is what it looked like after we finished painting the front.
I felt we needed bigger plants he refused. Ok they have grown a bit since this was taken but I still think we needed taller. Of course the fact that we had a huge rhoddy on one side before influenced how I thought it should look.
The below picture was given to us by the young boy in the picture who is now in his seventies. That rhodendron was small when he was a child. It was over the roof this last year and the center stump was hollow and full of ants. We know it had to go but I have to tell you the puny Azalea just did not cut it for me. I wanted another rhodendron. I have been looking for an old picture. But they are all still packed and I could not find one on my phone. Funny we took a picture of the kids every spring in front of that rhodendron. But I know you can get an idea of it's size because most of my quilt pictures were taken on the front porch and you could see it next to them.
OK I found an old picture on Google street view. This is from April of 2016. Before we moved and started fixing up the outside. Look at how big that Roddy was. We had trimmed around the bottom for the walk way.
We had updated our kitchen several years ago. I miss it.
The color is all wrong in the picture. Not sure what is up with that. I need to go over with a real camera.
We did refinish all the wood floor both upstairs and down.
Entry Way From the stairs looking toward the Fireplace.