Saturday, September 1, 2018

August Progress


My UFO for the month of August was a rag quilt that I had started many years ago.  The main fabric is from the Bonnie and Camilla line called Bliss just to give you an idea of when I bought the fabric.  Rag quilts were very popular at that time and I thought it would be fun to make one.  Little did I know that I would not really enjoy the process.  But I dutifully cut all my fabric and batting pieces from left over batting.  I sewed a few of the bigger blocks and put it away for a really long time.  And I got so close to having the darned thing completely done this month.  I got it all sewn even after I ran out of the right color thread and had to go buy more.  I then began to cut the seams.  And cut and cut.  I discovered that after about an hour of cutting I could no longer feel my little finger so I would have to stop.  I have gone back and cut more several times now and have it 2/3 of the way cut.  As soon as I get it all cut I will need to locate a laundry mat to go wash it in.  I don't think I want to wash and dry it in my machines.  I am expecting a lot of lint.


My second goal for August was to get the Stars and Strips quilts quilted and bound.  Both are quilted and one is bound.  My daughter is on a road trip this weekend and is binding the other one on her trip.
I still need to get a picture of this.  

The last goal I had was to also work on the Bee-utiful embroidery block.  I got the next block completed.  This one was actually suppose to be done in July but after I re-injured my shoulder in did not happen.  I have a picture but it is not downloading onto the laptop for some reason.
Well that was frustrating.  I had downloaded several and then for some unknown reason the blue tooth turned off.   Technology it was suppose to make out live easier.


This is one I almost forgot about.  My grandson asked be to put together some blocks for the mother of a friend that started Chemo.  All the kids on the Water Polo team had signed blocks.  I added sashing from my stash and got it quilted.  I got the blocks last Friday and delivered it in time for the game on Tuesday.  She was thrilled with the thoughtfulness of the kids to try and encourage her and stay strong in her battle with cancer.


I am feeling pretty good about what I got done.  I am actually hopeful that once the grandkids are back in school that I will be able to pick up my sewing some more.  I have some Christmas presents that I need to start on.  Since I have already completed the number for the month of September, I either have to select a new item of complete a Christmas present.  That is the way that I am leaning at the moment.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, while the rag quilts look nice, all that clipping and washing turns me off. I have a friend who clips and washes for me as she is not a seamstress nor owns a machine. She likes to contribute to the process of making a charity quilt. What a wonderful charity quilt for that Mom. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete