Thursday, March 29, 2018

March was a productive month.

I am pretty amazed at all I accomplished this month. 

Instead of getting to work on March's UFO I did get a little crazy and grab a totally different project off the shelf.  It was cut out and ready to sew.  I had started it a while back....Although I can't remember exactly how far back that might be.

The quilt is called Summer and it uses Little Ruby Scrumptious (I realized I had that wrong after I posted, of course) fabric by Bonnie and Camille.  That will give you a little idea of how old it is.


After I completed that one I actually started on another new quilt.  I just needed to work with spring and summer colors as we were having a bunch of rain.

This one is made following the Perfect Ten Pattern by Swirly Girls, the fabric is Florabunda by Benartex.  Bought before the move.  

Sorry for the bad picture.  It was the first day of spring and the sun was actually shining.   But it was highlighting that one spot on the quilt as it came in the windows.  This took 10 fat quarters.  The aqua around the blocks and a boarder.  I actually pulled it all from stash.

At this point my daughter reminded me that I still needed to do my March UFO.  So I pulled it out.

This is called the Triple Barn Star.  It was a workshop on Craftsy by Amy Gibson, many moons ago.  The original pattern did not call for a boarder.  But the quilt finished at 72 x 72 without a boarder on it.  I had bought fabric to put on the back and had added additional fabric so that I could use the same thing for the boarder.  The fabric is Birch Lane by Joel Dewberry.  I think the reason I signed up for the workshop was because of the fabric.  Again I have no idea how old this project is.  I got stopped at the boarder.  Once I got the boarders cut it only took me a few hours to finish the top and make a back.  


So that was March 23rd that I finished this one.  The month was not over yet.

What should I work on next?

I decided that I wanted to do something quick and easy.

I had bought some Lily & Loom last year because I wanted to check out the fabric.  I was going to make a little quilt to give to a friends child but with the move that did not happen.  I decided that it would be a quick quilt and pulled it out.

It was quick but I noticed that the charm pack was cut a little differently than the ones I have from Moda.  The pinked edges are a little deeper, if that makes sense.  Also they were about 5 and 1/16 to 1/8 in size.  So before I cut the block that needed to be cut I trimmed them to 5 inches.  I did wish that I had remembered to trim the squares but by the time I realized that I hadn't I had already started sewing.  So I guessed on where I should be sewing.  As my mom used to say, I did them 'by guess and by golly'.  But they worked out.

I do have some more of this fabric that I have for another little quilt.  It was pretty easy to work with and if feels pretty good.  I am not sure I will buy precuts again but I do like the fabric and Craftsy does have some really good sales.

So that has been my March.  Tomorrow we will have grandkids all day because they are starting their spring break so I don't think I will get much more sewing done this month.  

It feels really good to empty a few project bins.   I am hoping to be just as productive in April.  We will need to start working outside soon on the yard so my productivity will depend on the weather.


No comments:

Post a Comment